Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

What an amazing man. President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away on Sunday, January 27, 2008. He was such an example. Not only to the LDS followers, but to the world. He was optimistic, and had a great sense of humor. He knew his purpose here on earth, and I believe that he fulfilled it to the fullest.



I wanted to write a few things that he said that have really impacted me, and the way I want to live my life. First is a quote that Nate and I have posted in our room so that we can think about it everyday as we start our day. It is very well known. It says, "I speak of the need for a little more effort, a little more seof-discipline, a little more consecrated effort in the direction of excellence in our lives. Let us all try to stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better." -September 1999- I love this challenge, and I think if lived by we would find ourselves much happier.



I also remember the talk he gave when I was in high school with the "6 Be's". They are (1) Be Grateful, (2) Be Smart, (3) Be Clean, (4) Be True, (5) Be Humble, (6) Be Prayerful. Again, this counsel has been repeated and taught over and over.



President Hinckley truly wanted us to be happy, and anytime that he taught, he did it with love, sincerity, and a smile. He was firm in his beliefs. As he became one of the most public prophets, he had some situations or questions that would make me uncomfortable answering to the world. I would worry about what they thought. He didn't. He always answered honestly, and matter-of-factly. It is an example of how anyone should be when they truly believe in something. His funeral is on Saturday, February 2, 2008. I am so excited to watch and see what others remember him for, how he touched so many other lives.

1 comment:

Our Family said...

I love the picture you choose of President Hinckley. I think it really captures his personality.